Thursday 3 March 2016

The Journey Travelled

It's always an adventure writing a new book

St James's Palace
I began writing my latest book on 24th August last year, wrote 896 words then waited a fortnight to continue. Why, you might ask? Was I on holiday? Incapacitated in any way? Neither of those, nor any other impediment. I had changed genre and needed those two weeks to ‘bed in’. Could I write in the Regency language I so love to read? It was certainly a change from my usual contemporary romantic fiction. By 7th September I was burning to continue and after an amazing five months – almost to the day – I completed the first draft, and what a journey it was.

Of necessity a historical novel requires a considerable amount of research, far more than I have previously needed when writing in a time period I inhabit and am familiar with. Armed with Google and a wonderful guide to Regency London, I walked the streets virtually and in reality. What an amazing experience that was. Far more distracting than social media and I kind of got lost in what I was doing. I shared some of my experiences with you on this blog here.

Blue Ball Yard
A mews where stables from the 18th century
survive to this day
So, how was the journey and did the goal achieve my expectations? The journey was great. Compelling to the extent that I almost lost touch with my other (what some would call normal) life. Were expectations realised? I can only say I have never enjoyed writing anything as much before and I made myself cry at the end. I’ve been through the manuscript so many times with a fine tooth comb. No longer can I procrastinate. This week I have sent my ‘baby’ to my agent, Lisa Eveleigh, founder of the Richford Becklow Literary Agency. Would that she will like it. I hope so.





14 comments:

  1. My word, that is amazing Natalie. I enjoyed reading the blog and the journey you travelled.
    You appear to love this genre and I'm sure your agent will love it too. I like the fact that you cried because you enjoyed writing it so much. Always a good sign. All the very best of luck. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. It certainly feels different from anything I've done before. Thank you for your good wishes

      Delete
  2. The very best of luck to you, Natalie. You certainly seem to have immersed yourself in the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so enjoyable, Francesca. I suppose it's as easy to feel a time period as a place or thing if you've read about it often enough. Certainly I felt at home

      Delete
  3. Wishing you all the best with it, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very best of luck Natalie. I'm sure the waiting to hear, is hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what we do, Sarah. Nothing for it but to get on with the next one. Now...where to begin

      Delete
  5. Good luck my friend. I hope you come back cause I miss you Fx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive, Natalie. Best of luck with latest 'baby'!
    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabrielle. My prayers go with her!

      Delete
  7. I've enjoyed your visits to all those wonderful places, and am very grateful you've shared them.

    Good luck with this book. :)

    ReplyDelete